Friday, January 1, 2010

Feliz Año Nuevo ! I can´t even begin to tell you all about what has happened these past few days, but I will try to say as much as possible. On Tuesday, I flew from Milwaukee to Huston where I was to meet up with three other girls from Grace who are also studying abroad here with me. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 9pm, however around 8 we were informed that there were some problems with the engine and maintanace needed to work on it. 10 hours later after a long night of waiting, boarding the plane, deboarding , and sleeping in the ariport, we finally were on our way to Buenos Aires. We were picked up at the airport and taken to our various host families.
I am living with Jose (nacho) and Maria (Mari) Kubo. They are so precious! Nacho loves showing me how to use everything in the house, even simple things like a lawn chair. Mari is an amazing cook. It is a good thing that I will be walking to school every day in order to not add too many pounds. They live very close to the school and have hosted many students in the past. They love each of them and brag about their ¨children¨a lot.
Last night we went to a New Years Eve paty. We set off fireworks, watched the kids play with sparklers, eat lots of food, and played cards. I tried mate for the first time. It was really strong. Even the other women there said so. But I was glad to have even been invited to take part in such a significant ceremony. The whole night was very enjoyable. One of the other Grace girls, Ann, was there as well. We had a blast watching the festivities and laughing at how many traditions being practiced would never fly in he States. For example, miniature paper hot air ballons were lit and sent flying through the air, bumping into trees and houses as the wind blew them around. We were just waiting for something to catch fire.
Today Nacho, Mari, and I went to their daughter Carina´s house. Of course, we ate a lot. I also played video games with their 4 year old Matea and dress up with their three year old Julianna.
I am excited for classes to start on monday. I am anxious to take the competency test to see what level of Castellano to start at. The more time I sapend here, the more I realize how much I still have to learn. Please pray that the test goes well. Also please continue to pray that my relationship with the Kubos continues to grow.
Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers.

1 comment: